Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese Recipe

Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese Recipe

You know what I’m going to do next year? I’m going to start shopping for Christmas gifts in September, start baking in November, decorate our place in the first week of December and then spend the rest of the holidays enjoying myself (and the delicious smug feeling that comes along with avoiding irritations everyone else is feeling). You know what I’m doing this year? Running around in a white hot panic. You?

One of the fun tasks on my list for this week was to think of a dish to bring to the potluck holiday party at Esme’s daycare. Laura and I have been talking about party food that’s good for adults and kids and this sweet potato mac & cheese really fits the bill, if I do say so myself. The sweet potato puree in the cheese sauce adds a nutritional boost plus adds colour found in certain popular packaged brands. I’m going to bring a big casserole dish of this to the party. If I were serving it at home I’d fill up some ramekins for the kids and then add some chilli sauce to grown up dish.

Esme and I made this together this morning. Our plan was to finish it, go out and run a few errands together and then come back and have it for lunch. But it was so yummy we both stood at the stove having “just one more bite” until we really didn’t need lunch an hour later. But we did have a little more anyway.

Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese

1 sweet potato, baked about 45 – 60 until soft (I baked mine the night before while cooking the oven was on for something else)
3 cups wholewheat macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup cheddar, grated
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
1 cup frozen peas
pepper to taste

Place noodles in boiling water. Cook according to package instructions, about 8 minutes.

Slice open sweet potato and scoop out the flesh. Puree with a splash of water until smooth. You need about 1 cup.

In a heavy bottomed pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Sprinkle flour into melted butter and stir. Allow to cook for about a minute, stirring. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly. Allow the sauce to thicken as you add splashes of milk. Once all the milk is in the sauce, add the grated cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the sweet potato puree and stir until well combined. Taste the sauce before adding pepper. I don’t add salt as parmesan is quite salty.

For the last 2 minutes of pasta cooking, toss in the frozen peas. Who needs another pot? Drain the pasta and the peas and put back in their pot. Pour the cheese sauce over and mix together well. Serve in small ramekins or in a large casserole. Serves 8.

Summer

Lisa’s Letters Home: Bonfire Baking

Remember, remember the 5th of November. It’s Bonfire Night on Monday here, which has to do with Guy Fawkes who tried to blow up the houses of parliament a very long

Grains & Rice

Breakfast Week: Quinoa Porridge

Esme would eat oatmeal porridge every day of her life if we were willing to make it. Hottest day in July? No matter, she wants porridge. I was interviewing nutrition

Legumes

It’s Chilly – Make White Chili!

Winter may not officially arrive until December 21st, but the white stuff that twirled and drifted its way to the ground yesterday said otherwise. After spending a day indoors with

1. Andrea
    May 18, 12:47 Reply
    Just finished making this and... oh my! So, so good!
    • Ceri Marsh
      May 18, 14:31 Reply
      Hi Andrea, I know! It really is the bomb. If I may say so myself! I haven't made it in awhile - I really should get it into rotation again. So glad it worked for you! Ceri
  2. Elise
    October 18, 15:21 Reply
    Love the recipe!! I did add salt (being my first attempt at "box-like" mac 'n' cheese I thought my 4 year old wouldn't eat it without), and I also added onion powder, garlic powder, a pinch of white pepper, a pinch of nutmeg, and a splash of Frank's Red Hot to give it that tang that boxed mac seems to have. Love it!! And two fists in the air from my 4 yr old! YAY!! It's a keeper!
  3. Ceri
    October 18, 15:23 Reply
    Hi Elise, For real, two fists in the air?! That is so awesome! I'm so glad it went over so well. And good for you for making it your own! Thanks for reading!!!
  4. What I am loving « jbs
    November 25, 15:47 Reply
    [...] Sweet Potato Chronicles’ Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese. I made this yumminess yesterday for lunch for Li’l K and I. I love it because the sweet potato adds extra [...]
  5. keith kesler
    January 22, 15:38 Reply
    saw a version of this recipe on a national cable show while sitting in waiting for my car to get oil changed the other day. sounds awesome, can't wait to try. love the fact that it's a healthier version, using whole wheat pasta and sweet potatoes.
  6. Amy
    January 31, 11:19 Reply
    Made this the other night, and everyone loved it!!! My 4-year-old and husband both turn up their noses at the mention of sweet potato, but I didn't tell them and they both cleaned their plates! Yay! Thank you for making mac and cheese a bit healthier. Love it!
    • Ceri Marsh
      January 31, 13:57 Reply
      Woohoo! Love that this went over so big with your crew. Especially that you got sweet potato by the skeptics! Let us know if there are any other recipes you'd like us to health-up for you. We're always looking for inspiration!
  7. Melissa
    October 21, 15:09 Reply
    Oooh this looks SO yummy! Love the sweet potato part of it... I'll be making this tonight (or tomorrow... we'll see where the day takes me, haha!). My husband & 2 sons (8 & 5) are sure to love it *fingers & everything else crossed* Question: Do you have any suggestions for a side? They boys (husband is included in the "boy" category) could eat heaping mounds of pasta by itself. Maybe a Caesar Salad & Garlic Toast? Or has anyone tried different sides that would go well with this dish? TIA :)
  8. Ceri Marsh
    October 21, 15:49 Reply
    Hi Melissa, Do your kids like broccoli? Even if they don't normally, why don't you try it roasted? Changes everything - I love it! Here's a recipe: http://www.sweetpotatochronicles.com/wordpress/2012/01/vitamin-week-roasted-broccoli/ And I'm crossing my fingers for you, too. Let me know how it goes!! xoCeri
  9. Kristin
    May 13, 11:12 Reply
    Hi, So excited about trying this recipe because Mac n cheese is one of my son's faves. I was just wondering about making this ahead of time, does it reheat okay in the oven? Thanks!
  10. Kaelila Capuano
    May 16, 08:14 Reply
    Sounds amazing... Thinking of making it to freeze for after I have the baby. Would it freeze and reheat well?