Dessert Week: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dessert Week: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I’m in a pretty good groove lately with my Sunday after cooking sessions. Julian still naps (Laura calls me the nap whisperer and it just might be true, Esme only gave up her nap in the last year and she’s about to turn 6!) so I use that time on Sunday afternoons to have a little quiet time with Esme and to get ahead on the week. Last week there was also a bake sale at Julian’s daycare that I wanted to contribute to so I started thinking of a new snack to add to my roster. I really wanted to come up with a more traditional chocolate cookie but add one of our favourite fall flavours pumpkin. And this isn’t quite what I had in mind – it’s actually better. These are almost like hermits – soft and cake-y – but with great texture from the oats. Can I humblebrag and say that these were a big hit at the bake sale and at home? I think I just did…

photos by Maya Visnyei

1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup pumkin puree
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars together until fluffy and light. Add egg and vanilla and mix again.

In a second bowl, combine flour oats, baking soda and spices. Add the dry to wet and mix until it just combines. Blend in the pumpkin puree. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop 1 Tbsp of cookie batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet with about 1 to 2 inches between cookies. Bake for about 12 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.

By Meal Type

Chocolate Week: Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls

Yes, it’s chocolate week on SPC and as Laura mentioned the other day, we’re loving the mini vacation from health food. Like most right-thinking people, chocolate is my favourite indulgence

Vegetarian Week: Black Bean Burgers

Veg­e­tar­ian cook­ing can get a bad rap. For those who aren’t reg­u­larly prepar­ing meals with­out meat I think the 1970s, macrame plant holder beside the Moose­wood cook­book halo still lingers. In real­ity,

Nanny Week: Melvie, Maeve, Nessa and Scarlett make Fried Noodles

You may have spent yesterday lusting over Melvie’s spring rolls. (Maybe that was just me?!) But we’re back today to give you one more homemade dish from my friend Alexa’s

1. Rina
    November 26, 12:35 Reply
    Looks great but it would be great to know what the yield is. Will definitely try today.
  2. Stacey
    November 27, 01:30 Reply
    Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are one of my go-to fall recipes. I use a ridiculous amount of pumpkin, making them delightfully cake-like. I love the idea of throwing oats in there, and will be trying that with my usual recipe!
  3. Jenn@Fox in the City
    November 27, 09:24 Reply
    I have a similar recipe and my kids (and I) love them! They are so tasty and the pumpkin makes them so soft and healthy.
  4. Ceri
    November 27, 12:32 Reply
    It makes about 2 dozen cookies, depending on how big you make them. Let me know if you try them out!
  5. Shelley
    September 02, 08:44 Reply
    I am looking for something to bake for back-to-school lunches! Looking forward to giving this recipe a try!! Thanks!
    • Ceri Marsh
      September 03, 09:22 Reply
      Let me know if you try them! I'm actually looking forward to making them, too, I can't get enough pumpkin at this time of year. It's a consolation for the end of summer!
  6. Shelley
    October 04, 08:22 Reply
    I too, can't get enough pumpkin! The cookies were delicious... my whole family loved them & it will definitely be a go to recipe for us!! Thank you (:
    • Ceri Marsh
      October 07, 14:33 Reply
      Yey! So glad they were a hit. I was just thinking about these cookies - time to whip up another batch this week!
  7. Persnickety
    January 26, 20:05 Reply
    A great recipe I can't wait to try out. It looks incredible. I love Pumpkin and those adventurous enough to use it! I wish more would. I came up with my own version of a Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cooks. While different from your own, I think mine is a unique take on the dish. I'm new to the Food Blog scene and would love some feedback from a pro like you. Check out my recipe if have time.
  8. Jan
    March 05, 19:52 Reply
    I got home at 6:30 tonight and had these whipped up and the first batch in the oven by 6:45 ..... I kid you not. They are that easy! I have to confess I ate two before my dinner, then one more after. They are yummy. Can't wait to see what my kids think of them once they get home tonight.
  9. Ceri Marsh
    March 05, 20:04 Reply
    I love hearing that, Jan! And I agree, they are so easy but just a bit more special than regular chocolate chip cookies. Let us know if your kids agreed. And now I'm craving a batch!
  10. Jan
    March 07, 17:02 Reply
    Hi Ceri, The pumpkin is so yummy. My kids loved them and so did my co-workers. I have been sharing your granola, breakfast cookies, and Wagamama cookies with the girls at work. I am going to pass on your website to everyone. You got rave reviews on all three! Thanks so much for the recipe. I am going to split it next batch ....half chocolate chip for school lunches and half raisin pecan for me. Mmmmm.
  11. Ceri
    March 08, 07:30 Reply
    Wow! That is amazing!! Thanks so much for your support - it means so much to us! And I like your idea for subbing in raisins and pecans - one of my favourite combos for sure. Let us know if there's anything you'd like to see here. We love taking requests!