Entertaining Week: Pears with Goat Cheese and Cranberries

Entertaining Week: Pears with Goat Cheese and Cranberries

Still need a quickie starter for tonight’s party? Laura posted this dead-easy recipe last December and the response was overwhelming. For something so simple it makes a very schmancy impression to come out of the kitchen with a platter of these. Plus, kids can make them while you’re getting changed… oh, is that just at our house? Whether you’ll be partying all night or raising a glass early and be in bed by 9 p.m. – from all of us at SPC: Happy New Year! – C.M.

I was thinking about what makes a good host/hostess after I shot these hors d’oeuvre for SPC. Working in the kitchen of my new home (where did I put the spreaders?), I thought a  great hostess is organzied.  It’s always so disappointing when you go to someone’s home and they are stuck slaving away in their kitchen. Or maybe what makes a gathering is a host/hostess who has thoughtfully orchestrated the evening with the guests in mind. Maybe it’s just amazing food? Good wine? Music? Conversation?

Then we went to dinner at our neighbors.  The meal was simple–prepared with fresh ingredients–and our friends were at ease, warm and not at all stressed by preparation. There was no fussing over when to throw the steaks on, everything that could be prepared in advance was done and there was lots of time for enjoying each others company. When we left I thought to myself that it felt like I had spent the evening at home–eating homecooking, relaxing and laughing. So there it was. A great host/hostess makes you feel like you’re at home. And the best part? When you do get home, there is no clean up.

Pears with Goat Cheese and Cranberries

2 pears, cored and cut into two dozen slices
1/2 cup goat cheese
2 tablespoons pistachio pieces
2 tablespoons cranberries
1 tablespoon orange or lemon juice

Core pears and cut into slices. Toss in orange or lemon juice to keep from browning. Spread cheese on widest part of slice and then shower cheese  with cranberries and some pistachio pieces. Arrange on platter and serve.

The green and red combination of this hors d’oevre looks festive and they require very little prep. You could practically pull it together as people come up your walkway. It’s also not a heavy nibble that fills guests up before they even sit down at the table (I’m talking to you baked brie. Oh, how I love thee.) In other words, this munchie will help make your next event. Don’t forget the homecooking served with a healthy dose of hospitality.

By Ingredient

Easter Week: Nana’s Grain Pie

If you celebrate Easter, this dessert is a family tradition that I look forward to indulging in all year. My mother and I are virtually cooking it together tomorrow as

By Meal Type

Roasted Shrimp and Broccoli With Soba Noodles

Hey Y’all! How was y’all’s weekend? Sorry, I’m finally finished the summer-long Friday Night Lights bender Ben and I have been on and I couldn’t help but pick up some

Dinner

Lisa’s Letters Home: The Great British Roast

In my dreams, I am that parent that produces a fabulous, nutritionally-balanced meal every night with the entire family round the table. I also envision no fighting, no shouting, no

1. Holly
    December 06, 22:02 Reply
    Yum! I had done something similar with apples, but I bet it's even better with pears (one of my favorite fruits). Thanks for this idea!
  2. Jo
    December 08, 21:06 Reply
    Hi! I was wondering how I should go about 'tossing in' lemon/orange juice on the pears? Should I just spoon some on the slices? Or do I have to soak them? Thanks! I love the look of these.
    • Laura Keogh
      December 08, 21:28 Reply
      Hi Jo. Just spoon it over them to keep them from turning brown. No soaking necessary. Hope you enjoy the recipe! Thank you for reading.
  3. Tara Lynette
    December 17, 17:25 Reply
    This recipe looks simple and delicious! We are having a gathering of about 30 people or so, should we double or triple the recipe? Thank you.
    • Laura Keogh
      December 20, 00:01 Reply
      The rule of thumb is that you figure each guest will eat about three so I would definitely triple the recipe. Let us know how it goes....30 people????? You're brave and our new hero! Thanks for reading!
  4. Adult Food |
    January 20, 09:34 Reply
    [...] Pears with goats cheese, cranberries and pistachios from Sweet Potato Chronicles [...]
  5. [...] {Pears with Goat Cheese, Pistachios & Cranberries, Cheese, Pear & Gorgonzola Flat Bread, Hummus, Salsa, Whole Wheat Beer Bread with Spinach Dip} [...]
  6. Millie Brooks
    February 10, 09:23 Reply
    Can't wait to get to the store to get a pear. I have everything else! Looks delicious!
    • Laura Keogh
      February 10, 12:37 Reply
      Hi Millie! I can't wait to hear how they came out! Let us know. Laura
  7. dena
    February 10, 12:15 Reply
    Delicious photos! Great appy idea.
  8. Terry
    February 14, 10:23 Reply
    Mmmm,....that is definitely going to be part of my lunch today, beside a bowl of soup. I can't wait for lunch! Thanks for sharing.
  9. Carpool Queen
    March 29, 23:21 Reply
    Made the pears tonight for a little get- together. They were delicious! I also tried a version with blue cheese and pomegranate-flavored dried cranberries and it was equally tasty. So happy to have a new, fun appetizer!
  10. [...] Pears with Goat Cheese and Cranberry Tangy, creamy, and dreamy; the pears take the place of bread to serve as a base for this spread. Yum! [...]
  11. Anne Quincey
    September 22, 18:12 Reply
    hello i was just wandering if I could make these ahead of time and refrigerate them
  12. Marilyn
    November 23, 07:11 Reply
    I mad these for Thanksgiving and they were wonderful! I sprinkled them with a little cinnamon and used almonds as I did not have pistachios. I will absolutely make them again.
  13. [...] adult’s only drink – it is a party afterall! For a small bite, lay out slices of pears topped with goat’s cheese, pistachios and cranberries. It’s so festive, simple and if you are feeling inspired – follow my recipe to make [...]
  14. Oorbee
    January 04, 15:29 Reply
    So yummy! I drizzled honey over it for a little extra love. It was delicious AND fancy, thanks!
  15. [...] found this recipe for Goat Cheese and Pear appetizer on Pinterest. Just slice the pears (we dipped in some lemon water to reduce browning), then spread goat cheese, [...]
  16. [...] found this recipe for Goat Cheese and Pear appetizer on Pinterest. Just slice the pears (we dipped in some lemon water to reduce browning), then spread goat cheese, [...]
  17. Andi
    September 12, 00:49 Reply
    These are fantastic and so easy! My new favorite appetizer!
  18. Marie
    September 16, 14:01 Reply
    I was looking for something easy and yummy for a small gathering I am hosting next weekend...I think this is it.
    • Laura Keogh
      September 17, 21:28 Reply
      Hi Marie. Great, let us know how it goes next week. Thanks for writing.