Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
This slow cooker dish is like the best authentic enchilada platter full of hand-rolled enchiladas, flavourful rice and black beans rolled together in a single soup.
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs about 8 thighs
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3-4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups converted rice converted rice has been par boiled and will cook in the allotted time. If you want to use brown rice, pre-ccok the rice and add it at the end of the cooking proces.
- 1 398 ml can black beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 1 lime, juiced
In your slow cooker, add the onion, garlic and chicken. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, oregano and pepper. Add the chilis, rice and chicken stock then stir. Add beans, corn and juice of lime. Give it another stir. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.Remove cooked chicken thighs to a cutting board and shred with a fork. Add chicken back into the slow cooker and stir. Serve with tortilla chips, fresh cilantro, crumbled feta, sour cream, avocado and, if you're like my husband, hot sauce.